Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Shyanne's first month

Shyanne was born in 1995, April. It was a cold and rainy spring when she entered the world.   She was one month old when we experienced a terrible storm which uprooted fence posts, lifted the roof of the house up and set it back down, tore metal off the pole barn the horses were in and left debris all over the neighborhood.  There was a huge "bang" around midnight which woke my husband, Bill, myself, and our son, Billy from our sleep. When my husband and I ran down the stairs I wondered why it was raining in the house.  We ran to the basement, although the damage was already done.  We didn't know what was going on.

While my son and I placed buckets all over the living room and kitchen my husband ran out to the barn. He did not return in a timely manor so I looked out the back window and saw a light flashing towards the house. I knew that was not good so I grabbed my coat and ran to the barn.  Bill was frantic and trying to round up the horses.  He panicked and forgot what to do.  I grabbed a bucket of oats and lured Sage and her baby, Shyanne, into the box stall in the first barn.  The other three horses came into the horse-designated end of the barn and we closed the huge barn door.  Turns out the fence had been pulled up and Bill was afraid one of the horses would step into a hole left by the fence posts. There was another outer fence so they could not escape entirely, but there was major danger and the horses were running around like crazy from the storm and damage.  Sara had been confined to a small lean-to barn 30 feet from the main barn.  That entire shed had been lifted off her and she was just a little crazy after that.

It wasn't until the daylight of the next morning that we discovered missing metal and pieces of barn all over the fields.  We were so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment