Friday, May 9, 2014

gifts from kittens - all about cats

Magoo, Wendy and Chipmonk are three kittens I rescued from the barn last fall.  We had an epidemic of some sort of virus that wiped out almost all the kittens and a few adults and I decided I would save these three who were born late.  Its a good thing I brought them in because this last winter was a doozy.

They were the tamest of all the kittens we have ever brought in and won our hearts almost immediately.  Magoo, the only boy, is like a rag doll in my hands; very laid back and not concerned about people.  On Christmas with 20 some people in the house he laid right on the couch where he always lays and someone was actually sitting on him.  He never moved or tried to claw any one.

Magoo and Wendy are gray with some tiger effects around the face and paws.  Their fur is very soft, silky, and medium length.  They have tails that make them look like squirrels, all bushy and longer hair.  They learned our routines early and spent the first few months living in the downstairs bathroom until they could understand and cope with dogs.  Then for a while they went back into the bathroom just for the night.  They learned to come very quickly for a little canned food and have been very easy to train for some other things.  They watch Bill when he goes down to get ice cream out of the freezer because he always gives them some.
They picked up on going in and out of the patio screen door by watching one of the older cats and now they are in and out whenever the door is open.  An older cat, Snoopy, created a self-made cat door in the patio door by tearing a hole in the screen just big enough for her to go through.  Now several cats use it.  Looks like crap, but is very efficient.

Anyway, recently I have been treated to some lovely gifts deposited in the bathroom, right in front of the toilet.  It started with a small mouse chewed in half.  Then I got a bird (dead) and then another mouse.  I don't know who is bringing these wonders, but I suspect Magoo.  He loves me so much.  He jumps on my neck and then flops over like he's been trained to play dead and he purrs and purrs and cuddles me.  He never uses his claws and the look on his face is pure adoration.  He is the sweetest cat I have ever known and I've had a lot.

Can't wait to see what I get next.  About twenty years ago I got the most terrifying cat gift ever:  the head of a rabbit, sitting on the deck, looking at me.  It was left in the morning and it was quite a shock.  I hope I don't see that again.  And I hope whoever is bringing these gifts makes sure they are dead first.  Many years ago, on Highland Ave, Elgin, a mama cat brought a live bass fish from the lake behind us.  It was for her kittens but we wouldn't let her bring it in the house.  She was very frustrated with my husband and me.

Love my cats.  Right now there are 12 in the house (and out), 6 living on the deck in kitty condos, 15+ in the first barn, and 15+ in the second barn.  They travel from barn to barn so a few might have been counted twice.  All total close to 50 cats.  And a few of the neighbor's cats that come for breakfast or just to check things out.  Most of these cats are fixed thanks to the TNR program through McHenry county. (TNR = TRAP, NEUTER, RELEASE). I've taken in eight so far this spring to be neutered.  One mama had her babies on the cold ground the last day it snowed in April.  She just walked away and let them die. She got fixed the next week.  But there are always a couple mamas we just can't catch and then we end up with more kittens.

 There are a couple mamas in the second barn.  one is so stupid she lets her babies die.(a different dumb one from the previously mentioned cat)  But right now one has two very fat babies; one black with stripes, one white with gray tipped ears, tail and paws.  There used to be Himalayan cats and Rag Doll cats in the neighborhood with those characteristics, but it's been a few years since we've seen a kitten with those markings.  Last week one of them fell out of the hay mow and Bill went up and got the other.  We made them a little home with hay bales and we are able to handle them every day to tame them.  Mama is wild.

We feed these cats dry food.  It costs a lot, but I try to get it on sale and buy 10 - 20 bags at a time.   It also costs $35 to get each one fixed through TNR.  It is worth it; they get fixed, shots - both rabies and distemper, and ears cleaned and treated for mites.  It is quite an undertaking and a good deal for me with all these cats.  Otherwise it is hundreds at the vet's office for one cat.  And, much to my dismay, I have 13 litter boxes in the house. That is the part I hate the most.  I also hate that the barn cats use the barn floor for litter boxes and I have walked in it more than once.  Yuck.  They like to go by the doors right where we walk.  I have to scoop it out with a shovel periodically.  I hate cleaning litter.  I'd rather shovel horse poop any day.
I also spoil my inside and deck cats with canned food.  The first barn group gets 1 can in the morning divided between all 15 of them.  The house cats fare a little better; they get a large can and a small can between all dozen.  I figure they get the equivalent of a small mouse in canned food.  If they want more they can go hunt for their own.

I have lots of cat stories.  Another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment